History of Amatrol
History of Amatrol
Amatrol has a rich history beginning in 1964, when Don and Roberta Perkins founded its original parent company, Dynafluid, Inc. Dynafluid was an industrial automation systems manufacturer that designed systems for many Fortune 500 companies including Coca Cola, General Electric, Alcoa, Ford, Chrysler, and others. Amatrol was created as the educational division of Dynafluid to provide training to industrial clients for new technologies like those being implemented in Dynafluid’s systems. Dynafluid was in a unique position to effectively develop training programs for these technologies because its engineers and technicians were thoroughly familiar with the design, application and maintenance of them.
Amatrol, short for Automated Machine Controls, was founded in 1978 as a division and was formally incorporated as a separate company in 1981. Since that time Amatrol has grown significantly, becoming the leading company in its primary market segments.
- 1981 Educational division of Dynafluid is founded and incorporated as Amatrol.
- 1983 Amatrol is selected by the Oklahoma State Department as a strategic partner in development of maintenance training systems for technical schools throughout the state of Oklahoma.
- 1986 Amatrol designs the first Computer Integrated Manufacturing Line for an educational facility.
- 1989 Amatrol’s president is selected by INC Magazine for Entrepreneur of the Year.
- 1989 Amatrol develops the first computer-based troubleshooting system for programmable controllers under contract by Control Data Corporation.
- 1990 Amatrol purchases Technovate, the oldest U.S. manufacturer of engineering laboratory apparatus.
- 1994 Amatrol introduces Integrated Systems Technology Program, the first turnkey high school pre-engineering technology program that could articulate to college programs. The program is highlighted by the White House administration in many speeches by President Bush regarding the workforce skills needed in the 21st century.
- 1995 Amatrol receives the Department of Commerce PACE “Recognition of Excellence” award.
- 1996 Amatrol is named the strategic implementation partner for manufacturing technology curriculum by the National Center of Manufacturing Sciences.
- 1997 Amatrol is named by Caterpillar as its sole strategic partner for the development of Caterpillar’s entire curriculum for electrical and mechanical maintenance training.
- 2000 The International Technology Education Association awards Amatrol its Outstanding Achievement To Secondary Education Award.
- 2000 The Southern Indiana Chamber of Commerce names Amatrol the outstanding company for year 2000 for companies in Indiana with over 50 employees.
- 2001 Amatrol is awarded the Silver Eagle award by the American Technical Education Association for outstanding contributions to the post-secondary education.
- 2004 Amatrol relocates to their new 80,000 sq ft. headquarters in the North Port Business Centre, Jeffersonville, Indiana.
- 2005 Amatrol hosts the first annual Engineering Robotics Summer Camp for rising high school freshman in Southern Indiana.
- 2006 The Manufacturing Skills Standards Council (MSSC) selects Amatrol as their on-line learning supplier to support the production technician certification.
- 2006 New virtual trainer that allows real hands-on skills via the computer is introduced along with virtual project-based technology lab.
- 2008 Amatrol hosts Siemens Certification Seminar.
- 2008 Amatrol is chosen by Caterpillar Inc. as development partner for technical skills training.
- 2009 National Institute for Metalworking Skills (NIMS) endorses Amatrol CNC Machine Operator program as recommended preparation for the NIMS CNC Operator Certifications.
- 2010 Amatrol receives the award of being an Indiana Company to Watch
- 2010 Amatrol named Indiana Small Business of the Year
- 2010 Amatrol named Business First Small Business of the Year
- 2010 Amatrol acquires Oxygen Education to expand its eLearning offerings
- 2011 Amatrol chosen for first totally online 2-year manufacturing and mechatronics degree
- 2013 Walla Walla Community College wins The Aspen Prize, cites Amatrol as “paramount equipment.” (article)
- 2014 Amatrol selected for President’s “E” Award for Export Excellence (article)
- 2014 President Obama commends CCAC’s job-driven training, which utilizes Amatrol equipment and curriculum (article)
- 2015 Amatrol learning systems showcased on PBS “News Hour” (article)
- 2015 Amatrol expands headquarters In Jeffersonville (article)
- 2016 Amatrol and GE Appliances support new lab for Bullitt County students to address manufacturing workforce crisis (article)
- 2016 NIMS endorses Amatrol’s multimedia curricula for ITM Certification (article)
- 2016 Paul Perkins, Amatrol’s CEO and President, receives NIMS Partner Excellence Award